Wednesday, 20 November 2013

Music plays a huge part in my life

A more personalised post this time on how music plays a huge part in my life.

It still amazes me how a simple piece of music can make us react and feel such different emotions. I thought I would let you into a few of the ways music has touched me over the years.

There is a lot written  about the use of music for dementia patients indeed I read an article only last week that stated that ‘The Sound of Music’ supported positive wellbeing for a group of people with dementia http://t.co/7xllS8NM96
Indeed I have seen first-hand with my own Grandma, who is currently living well with dementia, who can be calmed when confused or positively uplifted by a piece of music from her past. Subconsciously that memory link that can’t be made through everyday communication is immediately made with the introduction of a piece of music personal to her – the wonders of the brain, still amazes me that!

I don’t personally know what I would do without music; I too must confess that I use music as a crutch dependent of moods. Often I have blasted out a good rock song such as ‘Foo Fighters – Everlong’ http://youtu.be/eBG7P-K-r1Y to blast the cobwebs away (very high volume very loud out of tune singing – sorry neighbours!).

I even use music to drive my business work ethic. Often when I am feeling on a low ebb or have a day which didn’t go particularly well, which can start the doubts over what you are trying to achieve (I am sure most self-employed people can relate to that) there is nothing I love more than putting on this track – ‘Rudimental – Not Giving In’ http://youtu.be/J9-Lwpgfd1E
This is now my personal and business mantra, a call to arms so to speak, that I will not return to those dark days of working for a corporation :-)

When my Granddad passed away several years ago he was my first close relative in my family that had died and again it was to music I turned. This may have been in part to his love of music, my Granddad would often be found at family occasions with microphone in hand belting out ‘Oh Flower of Scotland’ the strong memories come flooding back even as I type these words. 
The track that helped me when he passed was ‘Jon Allen’s – In your shadow’ http://youtu.be/T82c-CeQDDc I even had the pleasure of writing to Jon via social media to tell him this and I received a lovely response saying that he was glad that his song writing had contributed as a positive influence.

It is true that music has played a huge part in my life, being brought up in a house of music ranging from my parents love of the Mersey Beat scene to an older brother who led me down the path of Paul Weller (my favourite musician of all time) and the early 80’s new wave scene such as Sigue Sigue Sputnik, there has always been a soundtrack playing in the background.

To this day it has rubbed off on my children. They are always curious about new music and there is never a point in the day where a variety of music isn’t played in all rooms of the house. This interest has also led me to chatting with them over where the music or musician comes from the background or genre of the music and has led to some really interesting conversations, especially in the case of PSY!

I am always amazed by music and the impression it leaves on people so please feel free after reading to leave your favourite piece or a track that evokes a strong memory, it would be great to hear them,

Take Care, till next time,


And remember ‘With Hope and Belief there are no Limitations’

No comments:

Post a Comment